Struggling to find the perfect washing up station to complement your dream kitchen? Perhaps the question, “why are kitchen sinks so expensive?” has lingered in your head a few times.
Firstly, yes, they can be pretty damn expensive. There is a wide range of factors that can drive up the cost of a new kitchen sink. The materials that go into the build can prove quite costly, not to mention the size and design you are looking to achieve. Also, bear in mind, sometimes you will find yourself paying extra for the brand itself.
But what if we told you that you can have a luxury kitchen sink for less than the cost of your weekly shop?
That’s right! Scrap that plan to sell lemonade on the weekends to save up the cash. Instead, carry on reading and we’ll guide you through completing your kitchen build on a budget.
By the end of this, hopefully you’ll have a pretty good idea on what kitchen sink to buy.
Kitchens on a Budget
Are you guilty of googling terms like “cheap utility sinks UK” or “discount kitchen sinks UK”?
We’re always up for a good bargain! Who isn’t?
But isn’t a kitchen sink one of those homely investments that we should be willing to spend a little more on? Afterall, how often are you going to buy one?
Understandably, when it comes to home improvements, you want to think about long term value. “How long will this kitchen sink last”?
Are you designing a completely new kitchen or simply replacing the kitchen sink? This will help you decide what kitchen sink to choose.
Let’s take a quick look at materials you will come across when exploring the world of sinks for your kitchen.
Best Kitchen Sinks for Under £150
Now it wouldn’t be fair of us to get you all excited about kitchen sinks and then hang up on you would it? So without further ado, take a look at our bestselling favourite sinks for less than £150.
Perhaps you’re looking to get a sink that requires little maintenance but blends in with the curvatures of the room. Consider installing a stainless steel round sink. Not only will it go with any worktop style, the rounded edges make cleaning it a breeze.
Since we are on a tight budget, the other advantage is with the cost. They are generally cheaper than other materials. If you don't go large scale, let’s say, you opt for a small stainless sink, then you save even more.
The main disadvantage of stainless steel sinks are that they are more prone to scratching. Over time each additional scratch can ruin the sparkle in your kitchen sink, but worry not, as there are an abundance of protective sprays and cleaners out there to keep it looking fantastic for as long as possible.
Rangemaster Glendale 1 Bowl Brushed Stainless Steel Sink
You can’t go wrong with a stainless steel kitchen sink.
- Increased productivity in the kitchen. Wash up dishes in the larger bowl and use the large draining space for drying up.
- The brushed stainless steel finish will give your kitchen that 5-star appeal and effortlessly complement a matching stainless steel kitchen tap.
- Stainless steel sinks are not immune to scratches. Ensuring your kitchen sink always looks brand new will be quite a mission unless you use a stainless steel cleaner fairly regularly.
Rangemaster Atlantic 1 Bowl Stainless Steel Undermount Kitchen Sink
Are you looking for a minimalistic kitchen sink unit? Then the Rangemaster Atlantic Bowl is an option to consider.
The deep single bowl still allows for larger pots to soak while hanging on to the limited kitchen top space.
- The undermount fitting gives you additional worktop space. Every inch counts when you have a small kitchen to work with!
- Wiping up any mess on your work area couldn’t be easier. Simply wipe those crumbs and clippings straight into the sink without having to worry about bits getting stuck in the edges.
- The attractive shine of the Rangemaster means that the rest of your kitchen needs to step up their game!
The solution to a scratch-free sink is to go with a granite composite kitchen sink option. They tend to be a bit more durable than stainless steel sink brands. And if any scratches come about you can simply buff them away using a cleaner and polisher.
That’s not all. They can even withstand extreme temperatures. So pans coming straight out of the oven can be placed in on the surface without causing damage.
The downside is that they can be a little pricier than similar stainless steel designs, but worth every penny if your heart wanes for a contemporary kitchen with style.
Reginox Harlem 1 Bowl Black Silvery Granite Composite Kitchen Sink & Waste Kit
The increased durability of Granite kitchen sinks combined with their sleek look makes them a stunning centrepiece for any kitchen. The strength of the Reginox Harlem lies in the mix of quartz crystals making it pretty much indestructible. But don’t get carried away now; this isn’t a challenge for you to take an axe to your new gorgeous kitchen sink!
- Contemporary black silvery finish and sleek design that suits most spaces.
- Made from extremely hard wearing granite composite.
- Heat, stain, scratch, and impact resistant.
- Comforting 10 year manufacturer's guarantee.
- The denser surface of the granite sink means your plates and glasses are in danger of chipping from those accidental knocks.
- Your kitchen will be the envy of all your friends.
Talking about maintaining kitchen sinks - ceramic sinks are by far the easiest to maintain. They’re also wonderfully durable and often have so much space inside of the bowl that you could probably wash your car in there.
The drawback of these sinks is the sometimes expensive price tag. However, if period charm and traditional design is what you’re after, choosing a ceramic sink doesn’t have to break the bank.
Fireclay Farmhouse Large Belfast Ceramic Kitchen Sink
If you prefer the characteristics of a farmhouse, this Butler & Rose Fireclay Ceramic Belfast Sink will charm everyone who walks into the room. The way the side of the kitchen sink is showing will make it a dominating feature in the room and add so much period charm.
- After hours of prepping, cooking and washing dishes, the last thing you want is to be scrubbing your sink. Fortunately, Belfast ceramic sinks are really easy to wipe clean.
- These ceramic kitchen sinks are huge! You can leave even the largest of your cooking pots in them.
- It’s tough to come up with a flaw with these sinks. Except that you may be tempted to jump in for a bath!
Butler & Rose 450 Gourmet Surface or Undermount Ceramic Kitchen Sink
This gorgeous piece can be fitted either level with the worktop for a traditional look or undermounted for a dash more minimalism. Choosing to undermount style means you won’t need to worry about cleaning any edges and gives the worktop a subtle, understated look.
- Easy to clean. Ceramic sinks really are a breeze to maintain and keep looking good as new.
- The unique weir overflow gives you peace of mind that you won’t end up with a flooded kitchen when your cousin from Australia calls for a chat.
- Unfortunately, the rectangular second sink comes separately.
Butler & Rose 1.5 Bowl Ceramic Kitchen Sink + Victoria Traditional Kitchen Mixer Tap
Don’t release those tomatoes just yet! This final selection is well over today’s budget for a good reason. Here’s the deal…
When you buy the gorgeous Butler & Rose 1.5 Bowl Ceramic Sink, you get with it the stunning B&R Victoria Traditional Kitchen Mixer. It also comes with two basket strainer waste for each bowl - perfect for keeping your pipes clear of blockages.
- The ceramic’s durable build will not let you down for many years to come.
- The gorgeous glossy white surface is heat resistant, practically non-stick and immune to scratches.
- It's over £150. True. But that extra £50 gives you a fantastic quality basin mixer tap included too. If convenience is your cup of tea, then this pack if most definitely for you.
Which Kitchen Sinks Are The Best?
There you have it. Hopefully, now you know which kitchen sinks are best for your home. Maybe this guide has even inspired you on a design layout for your kitchen.
But just keep in mind…
The sink you decide on is dependent on the look you want to achieve, functionality, space and perhaps most importantly, your budget.